Friday 18 April 2008

Like Riding in a Dust Tornado Inside of an Oven ...



... that is how I would describe participating in the April 2008 edition of Ironman Arizona. I finished, and am fired up that I did, but it was a tough, tough day. One cool thing that happened was that I got to run the last couple of miles into the finish with Pastor Scott Bennefield of Albuquerque, New Mexico (he is Body Life Pastor at Hoffmantown Church there). We had also gone for a long run together at January's ICTN camp/retreat in Scottsdale, so this was sort of a bookend to that earlier run. Speaking of tough ... Pastor Scott passed a kidney stone on the third bike lap and still managed to get across the line. Unreal!

There were some pretty scary stats flying around in the wake of the extreme weather, like this info from the official Ironman website, posted just prior to the midnight deadline:

"A tough day in Arizona
RACETIME: 16:27
If you are wondering how tough things were out on the course today, all you have to do is check out the number of DNF's at today's race.Of the 2035 athletes who started the swim, 2033 finished in time to start the bike.Of those, 1,874 managed to get through the hot and windy bike course.1,830 of those started the run.With just under 40 minutes to go, 1,574 of those athletes have finished.The high attrition rate is no-doubt due to the extreme heat we experienced here today, coupled with the high winds
."


So, I felt pretty lucky to get across the line with my oldest daughter, Sarah.

The best part of the weekend was seeing old friends in Arizona. This is fourth year in a row I've been able to go to Arizona for the race, either to work in the expo for Tri4Christ/FCA Endurance and help with IronPrayer, or to do the race (which I finished in 2006 as well).

I don't have any illusions of grandeur about my IM skill set, but I feel fortunate that I was able to use lessons of perseverance and faith from our annual ICTN camps, the IronPrayer events, and also the inspiration of friends who have been brave enough to share their stories, as tools to help me finish. And, I am especially proud to be able to count men and women like Scott, Linc/Jen, Bob/Jan, Dan, Brian/Jill, JR/Wendy, Chris A., Tom, Kirk, Shelper, Don, Phil/Sandy, Troy/Robin, Dan C., Mike B., Heather/Todd, Jamie/Courtney, Jason, Bill/Gina, Marty/Alona, Mike, AJ, DR, Matt and so many others as friends in Christ, life, and tris. I know I am blessed to be able to compete. And I know that blessing is even more profound when I get to experience it in the company of so many special people.

When Chrissy and I got married 11 years ago, we prayed for some special friends to come into our lives ... When we consider the gifts God has given us since then in the friendships at our "home" and our "tri" church families, it is very humbling and very special to us.

I love tris, but I love the people I've met through triathlon even more. Thanks for the support and the friendship - it is much more than another reason not to quit a race. It is the reason we are alive - to practice the friendship and adventure we will share together with Christ in the place and time to come.

Proud to be your friend. Finish strong,
Stan

No comments: